Monday, August 29, 2016

New Projects

In the painting and sewing world I'm sure we all have a "dead" zone. You know the projects that are just sitting there waiting to be completed. They pile up fast due to boredom, needing more time, space, supplies, or just life. It happens. The pile up at my house is starting to grate on me though, so I'm devising a plan to get some of my old projects completed.

For Painting:
First, while I plan to continue my membership with the Decorative Painting Society and my local chapters, I'm going to be very choosy on any new projects they offer. What I mean by that is I'm going to only choose items that I really want to do, not just for the sake of doing them for my portfolio.
Second, one of the requirements I plan to require of myself is, it has to be a project that can be completed in a timely manner (90% during the class not including prep time) and when it is finished have a plan for it.... ie "gift" it away.
Third, set aside a few hours per week to just paint and complete some of my older projects. For me this time period will be on one day per week. Wednesday sounds good. Yep, Wednesdays.

Here's a recent project I completed:





This lovely little galvanized watering can was purchased at Ikea. Pattern from Gigi Wright "Sitting Pretty" in The Decorative Painter Issue No. 2, 2013.



For Sewing: 
My biggest problem for sewing is space. I cut my patterns on my self healing mat on the floor. Sad. I've done it at the dining table, but I'm tired of the table always looking cluttered. I've got some space scoped out I could do it in, if I could get rid of a z-rack of wedding dresses. Time for some deep discounting.  In the meantime, the dining table may have to do.
Seriously, I'd love to be sewing a bit everyday. Actual sewing. Prepping patterns and cutting are the bane of my sewing existence. A necessary evil I guess. That in mind, my plan is to spend at least an hour a day, four days a week just working on sewing and design. Most likely it will be more often, as I'm hoping to make this a future source of income. (My own designs of course!)

Here's a project finished for my little niece, P.J. It's completely lined!!!! <3 <3 <3
Pattern Butterick 3762




No comments:

Post a Comment